Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Vulcan Salute

I am joining Janna at Mommy's Piggy Tales to record my youth. This is the 4th of 15 series, every Thurs, that I will be recording. The fourth memory is from 2nd grade or when I was 7.

It is when I got my hair cut like a boy. I remember I was wearing a red hooded sweatshirt. Very excited about my new hairstyle. I wanted to show my friend down the road. I walked over and rang the doorbell. Her mom answered. "Can LesLiegh come play." To which her mom replied. "Sorry Derek, LesLiegh isn't home right now." "Umm...I'm Nikki." "Oh, you and your brother could be twins." To which this conversation brought on a fascination with whether we really were twins or not? Were my parents hiding something? I mean someone just said we could be!!! (Come on, I was 7.)

It is when I got the lead role for a play in class. I remember sitting in rows and the teacher said she was going to write down a number and anyone who wanted to be the lead could guess the number. Whoever was right, would get to be the lead. So I concentrated real hard on her hand and if she would write one number or two. Did her hand write curl marks or straight. I actually guessed the correct number!! Now if you know me, I have no idea why I would be going for a lead role in a play. Granted it was a 2nd grade play. But, I have no desire to be in front of people. Zilch. Zip. Zero. None, what-so-ever. I don't know, maybe I did in 2nd grade. Well, I did it!!! Although I remember not doing it well.

It is when I learned to separate my fingers (The Vulcan Salute) while watching a space video during science class. The salutes like they did on Star Trek. It was dark, the movie was boring and I could not think of anything else to do at the time. You know, besides actually watching the movie. And yes, I can still do it.

It is when my parents separated for the first time. Now I can remember lots of events surrounding this. I remember exactly how my dads apartment looked. The confusion of why my dad had to live somewhere else. I remember being mad at my dad for not living with us. I remember my parents buying us lots of stuff. Although, I'm not sure if it was so they could show their love, if it was out of guilt or because they wanted to out do each other. Being 7 I thought it was to out do each other. I ended up hating when they wanted to buy us something. Sure, every now and then I liked what I got, but I made sure the other parent never saw it. I did not want the other to go and get us something too. Most of the time I just said I didn't need anything. I remember wondering when my friends parents were going to separate, and started getting confused over why they would have family time.

Okay, sorry to depress you there at the end. Actually I could have wrote a lot more. But I'll spare you.

1 comment:

Crystal said...

Thats sad to hear about your confusion over your parents seperation. I can't fully understand because I always grew up thinking it was odd when other kid's parents DID live together and get along. Actually my Dad left by the time I was this age and I had a new dad and a hyphened last name. That was weird.
Well thanks for sharing your memories!