Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tales of a fourth grade juggler!

I am joining Janna at Mommy's Piggy Tales to record my youth. This is the 6th of 15 series, every Thurs, that I will be recording. These memories are from 4th grade or when I was 9.


Well 4th grade ...hmmm.... 4th grade I had my first male teacher, Mr. Gauer. And it was his first year teaching. He cut his thumb pretty badly on the paper cutter one day and had to leave to go get stitches.
In 4th grade I got in trouble and had a major talk from Mr Gauer about not making fun of people. He took me and another girl into the coat closet and we talked about the importance of treating people with respect. As I and another student, made fun a another girls pants. I still remember what that girl looked like and her name. His talk had a big impact on me as I don't remember doing that again, and hated when I saw others doing it also.

I learned in forth grade that dessert and desert were spelled differently. I once again got to be in a play about Paddington Bear. Fortunately I was prop set up. Yay! No messing up with that. But unfortunately 4th grade was also the year how-to speeches started. I didn't mention anything to my parents until the night before I was to do mine. I had nothing ready, so I believe they gave me a recipe for making chip dip. It was easy and only 3 steps. So when I got up it didn't take long and virtually fool proof. It went okay, well... better than me being a play.

One day when staying at school after class was over, I don't remember why, a couple of other girls in my class and I asked Mr. Gauer to teach us to juggle. He had juggled for our class not long before that. So we sat and learned to juggle:) He was so kind and patient with all of us. I would go home and practice for hours just so when I got the chance I could show him how much better I had gotten. After that year was done I never saw Mr Gauer again until incidentally when I was in 12th grade, I went back to the same school for a class where I had to teach 3/4 graders to read. Mr Gauer recognized me and my name. I thought that was neat that he would remember me.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Don't you love it when your early teachers actually remember you!! I don't remember how old I was but when I went back to my old elementry school when I was older, in h.s., there was a new teacher there- well new because she had remarried. She was actually my 2nd grade teacher and remember me though I was confused because I knew that wasn't her name! She had left the district then came back! I am hoping in a few years my daughter might have her when we leave Guam and go home!

Unknown said...

I don't think I had a male teacher ever.. we had a few in the school but I dont' think i had them... Funny... nice he remembered you.

berrypatch said...

Cool about your teacher teaching you how to juggle. Can you still do it?