Thursday, October 1, 2009

Looking for a church??

Are we looking for a new church....NO! Rather we were helping my mom find a church. She lives about an hour away. So when we were visiting over the weekend we decided to look for another church to go to. As the last church we went to the gospel was not presented all that well. So I sifted through the yellow pages looking for a church to look up on the Internet. Found one that was non-denominational, and looked it up. I read the doctrinal statement, their core values, and what the church body believes. It seemed theologically correct, but was feeling like it might be an Emergent church. Seeming that we could not find any other churches to go to, we went. Getting ready we knew we were going to be late! Dave suggested we just stay at my mom and step dads and listen to a James McDonald sermon. Nah, lets still go I said. I should've listened! We got there maybe ten minutes late, and the sermon was already going. It was dark in there which doesn't bother me, but my mom didn't really like that aspect of it. He was preaching on communion. 1 Corinths. But I didn't have a clue what he was talking about...I can't even tell you about it as it was just fluff!! I'm sure I just sat there with this look on my face that was HUH! Where is the gospel... the atonement of Christ, how we need to repent of our sins. He sounded a lot like a very popular emergent preacher these days. Dave and I just looked at each other like okay should we go. When all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye, I see a mirror on the opposite side of the wall with a candle burning? I tried to show Dave it...he couldn't see it. Then I only had to wait about 2 minutes to know what it was for. The preacher said we were to...."go......sit in front of the mirror......look into your eyes, REALLY look into them....look into your soul." UGG!! So my husband, my mom and I were the first to stand up and.......walk straight out the door.
As we were walking out I looked back and saw this older couple following us. Yes! Unfortunately they walked over to the mirror. The kids were confused about why we were leaving. But Dave cleared up the confusion for them AND anyone near us as we were walking out!:)

No comments: